Learn more about our Certificate of Advanced Studies (CAS) in Management programme for women looking to restart or advance their career.
The Women Back to Business programme is designed for women with a university degree or advanced technical college degree who would like to return to the workforce, reposition themselves professionally or take on more responsibility. You will receive updates on the latest concepts and insights on the most relevant management topics. The programme also includes core & elective modules, skills workshops and individual career consulting sessions.
Are you interested in this programme? You have the opportunity to visit an info event to find out if this executive education fits you and your career planning:
Learn more about the programme in a personal conversation.
Kristin Fuchs Head Business Development Open Programmes and Head Career Transition Programmes
Duration9 days onsite at the University of St.Gallen Executive School Campus combined with hybrid learning
Number of ECTS credits12
DegreeCAS / Zertifikat
ConditionsEarly Registration Price until 31 March 2023: CHF 15,500. Scholarships are available to individuals who meet certain requirements. Please contact us.
LocationSt. Gallen / Online
Individual modules bookableYes
- are motivated to start something new
- have a university degree
- took a career hiatus due to family duties OR
- want to reposition themselves and take on more sophisticated tasks and additional responsibility
- would like to return to the workforce in an international environment
- would like to use their time in Switzerland to obtain a certificate in management from a leading university.
- Participants must hold a university or advanced technical college degree, or in exceptional cases and upon approval, an equivalent qualification.
Our aim is to help women succeed professionally, in particular women who desire to return to the workforce, reposition themselves in the job market, or take on more sophisticated tasks and more responsibility.
Your benefits are the following:
- You will be updated on the latest concepts of the most relevant management topics and develop an excellent understanding of the current challenges
- Your appeal to potential employers will increase
- You will receive professional support for your career transition through individual career consulting which offers the opportunity for conscious reflection on how to meet new challenges
- You will broaden your professional network with company representatives in leadership positions and with women who find themselves in similar personal or professional situations
- The programme structure is based on individual modules which enable you to integrate it smoothly into your family and personal schedule
- We ensure that course content is closely related to practice within our partner companies and we facilitate early contacts to potential employers
- We offer flexible and individualized payment solutions
Structure & Modules
The programme is structured in modules that total 27 class days over 12 months. Course preparation and transfer session tasks require an approximately equal amount of time. Participants will earn a total of 12 ECTS points. One ECTS point is equivalent to 30 hours of course work.
10 May 2023, 9:00-12:00, Online
15 May 2023, 8:30-18:00, WeiterbildungsZentrum (WBZ) St.Gallen
5 June 2023, 8:30-12:00, Online Transfer Session
This module addresses the basic challenges and questions of managing a complex organization based on the St. Gallen Management Model.
- Understand the most important principles of management
- Learn to deal with complexity and uncertainty in an organization
- Understand what a management model is and how it can be used
- Learn how to cope with different processes on a strategic as well as operational level
- Apply the principles of management to organizational development
- Understand how strategic management, organizational development, change management and process management are linked
Dr. Lüder Tockenbürger is Founder and Managing Partner of PRO4S & Partner GmbH and Lecturer at the Executive School of Management, Technology & Law of the University of St. Gallen. Since 2000 Lüder has developed and managed international consulting projects and management training programmes in Europe, America as well as in Asia in the fields of organizational development and general management. His expertise covers several fields including strategic management, organisational development, communication and leadership. Lüder is founding member of several companies and also works as management consultant. He is also board member of several companies.
22 May 2023, 8:30-18:00, WeiterbildungsZentrum (WBZ) St.Gallen
9 June 2023, 8:30-12:00, Online Transfer Session
This module includes the basic economic concepts based on hands-on economic issues. It provides an overview of the most important relationships between economic factors and introduces the way of economic thinking.
- Get an idea how economists think
- Understand why the government plays an essential role in economics
- Understand the mechanisms of supply and demand and the role of prices
- Get an overview of the different economic terms and understand how they are measured
- Approach a holistic understanding of economic interrelationships, e.g., between interest rates, inflation, unemployment, GDP growth, exchange rates, indebtedness etc.
- Learn how “the economy” works as a whole and comprehend the role of money
Dr. Tobias Trütsch is Managing Director and Head of the Center for Financial Services Innovation at the University of St. Gallen. His research interest lies with payment and monetary economy, focusing especially on innovative payment methods and individual payment behaviour. He is also a Lecturer for economics at the bachelor level and in executive education at HSG and acts in the role of the communication manager of the “Global Competitiveness Report”. Tobias holds a PhD in International Affairs and Political Economy with special focus on Economics from the University of St. Gallen and a Master of Science in Economics from the University of Berne.
30 May 2023, 9:00-12:00, Online Input Session
14 June 2023, 9:00-11:00, Online Transfer Session
This personal development training offers you the opportunity to become familiar with accepted styles of writing in professional contexts. It allows you to develop clear, concise and correct business writing skills for CVs, cover letters, email correspondence and business texts, and provides guidance and tips for developing best business writing practices.
- Become familiar with the generally accepted business writing style
- Learn to transform lengthy, dense writing into clear, concise texts
- Develop tools and practices to facilitate daily business writing
Kristin Fuchs MA is Senior Programme Manager and Programme Lead for the University of St. Gallen Executive School’s Women Back to Business Programme. She has a background in language coaching in English and French for professionals, teaching, translation and financial services. She began her career in the financial services industry, working in both the US and Switzerland and has experience in investment management and institutional equity sales. She holds a BA in Economics, an MA in French, and a CAS in Management from the University of St. Gallen.
12 June 2023, 8:30-18:00, WeiterbildungsZentrum (WBZ) St.Gallen
20 June 2023, 8:30-12:00, Online Transfer Session
This workshop focuses on how to find and get a job. It will provide you with highly practical tips regarding your job search, networking approach, application process and CV optimization. You will prepare for and practice answering tricky interview questions during mock interviews with other participants and give and receive feedback on the questions and answers. Self-branding, storytelling, your elevator pitch, market biases and LinkedIn will be discussed.
- Gain useful tips regarding the job search and application process, interviewing and optimizing your CV
- Develop solid interview skills through hands-on practice
- Gain increased confidence by developing and optimizing your personal marketing, storytelling and elevator pitch
Dr. Mike J. Widmer, MBA is Founder and CEO of Aalto AG, a boutique consulting firm for leadership, executive search and career consulting. He is also a Lecturer at the Executive School of Management, Technology & Law of the University of St. Gallen. He is a seasoned cross-sector executive search expert for C-level and board positions and has a substantial background in senior management consulting in Switzerland, Germany and the U.S.
21 August 2023, 8:30-18:00, WeiterbildungsZentrum (WBZ) St.Gallen
29 August 2023, 8:30-12:00, Online Transfer Session
This module provides an introduction to the Swiss legal system. It makes a deep-dive into Swiss contract law with an emphasis on employment law. It will address topics such as conclusion of an employment agreement, rights and obligations (e.g. salary, liability), issues around termination including settlement, and include a view on special protection provisions related to women (e.g., maternity, gender equality).
- Gain an overview of the Swiss legal systems and its sources of law
- Understand the basic elements of Swiss contract and labor law
- Apply Swiss law to case studies
Prof. Dr. Bruno Mascello is Professor and Director at the Executive School of Management, Technology and Law at the University of St. Gallen. He lectures at both the Executive School and the University of St.Gallen, is a keynote speaker at conferences and researches and publishes on various topics at the intersection of law and management. Before joining the University of St.Gallen he served at an international insurance group in various leading management positions of the worldwide legal function, after having worked first as a senior attorney in law firms focused on international corporate and business law. Bruno Mascello studied law at the faculty of law (lic.iur./masters of laws), earned a Ph.D. (Dr.iur.) and completed an Executive MBA at the University of St.Gallen. He also holds an LL.M. in Comparative Jurisprudence from New York University School of Law. He is a qualified lawyer, admitted to the Swiss Bar and runs a private practice providing legal and legal management consulting services.
25 August 2023, 9:00-12:00, Online Input Session
31 August 2023, 9:00-11:00, Online Transfer Session
This personal development training addresses various aspects of seeking and living a balanced life, particularly in the midst of a job search, a career transition or a return to work after a family or personal break. It allows you to explore and reflect on the balance or lack thereof in your life and aims to offer concrete tips and guidance on how to practice resilience, energy management and personal development to achieve life balance.
- Define ‘balancing your life’
- Explore various concepts and mindsets that promote a balanced life
- Reflect on or develop a personal plan for balancing your life
Sarah Lenz is Programme Director for Career Relaunch and Diversity at the Executive School of Management, Technology & Law of the University of St. Gallen. She has a master’s degree in sports science and one in journalism and media studies. Before joining the Executive School, she taught at various school levels and subsequently worked for more than ten years as a communications specialist in the financial sector.
Kristin Fuchs MA is Senior Programme Manager and Programme Lead for the University of St. Gallen (HSG) Executive School’s Women Back to Business Programme. She has a background in language coaching in English and French for professionals, teaching, translation and financial services. She began her career in the financial services industry, working in both the US and Switzerland and has experience in investment management and institutional equity sales. She holds a BA in Economics, an MA in French, and a CAS in Management from the University of St. Gallen.
4 September 2023, 8:30-18:00, WeiterbildungsZentrum (WBZ) St.Gallen
12 September 2023, 8:30-12:00, Online Transfer Session
This module explores the theory of project management and its implementation. Various fundamental tools are addressed along with a keen focus on agility, innovation and new ways of working in project management.
- Understand the theory behind project management
- Gain a solid overview of project management best practices and how these are successfully carried out within an organization
- Identify and understand the role of a project manager and project leadership
- Learn how to optimize project management processes
- Explore project management in agile, innovative, modern environments
Dr. Patricia Widmer is Vice Director for Open Programmes and Diversity at the Executive School of Management, Technology & Law of the University of St.Gallen. She studied business administration at the University of Zurich with an emphasis on banking and finance and worked for several years in private banking for a large Swiss bank. Patricia has been with the University of St.Gallen since 2014, where she established the English-speaking certificate programme Women Back to Business as well as the Women’s Leadership Programme. In addition, she facilitates and moderates workshops as well as presentations on Diversity & Inclusion and unconscious bias. She wrote her dissertation on “Gender Disparity on Top of Companies”. She holds several non-executive positions and is founder and managing partner of Aalto AG, fostering organizational and professional happiness.
2 October 2023, 8:30-18:00, WeiterbildungsZentrum (WBZ) St.Gallen
9 October 2023, 8:30-12:00, Online Transfer Session
This module sheds light on the multifaceted history, diverse use cases, and multiple social, economic, and political implications of Artificial Intelligence (AI), a ground-breaking set of technologies. It includes discussion on the advantages and limits of machine learning, algorithmic bias, diversity in the tech sector, as well as ethical considerations. The module will equip you with the concept of “code capital”, a framework that enables you to better understand and evaluate how AI applications are changing business and leadership, its relevance for numerous sectors, and how you can actively shape its potential.
- Get an overview of the interdisciplinary history and interpretations of AI
- Understand the central techniques and applications of AI in business, politics, and social life
- Learn to assess the contributing factors of an AI system’s potential impact
- Learn to evaluate the relevance of AI for individual business needs
Dr. Léa Steinacker is Co-Founder & Chief Operations Officer at ada and Lecturer at the Executive School of Management, Technology & Law of the University of St. Gallen. She is also an award-winning journalist, researcher and entrepreneur. She has served as the Chief Innovation Officer of Germany’s leading business magazine Wirtschaftswoche. Prior to joining Handelsblatt Media Group, Léa worked with social justice NGOs and was selected as a Forbes 30 Under 30 leader. She holds degrees from Princeton University, the Harvard Kennedy School of Government, and a PhD from the University of St. Gallen.
TBD Sept./Oct. 2023, 9:00-12:00, Online Input Session
TBD Sept./Oct. 2023, 9:00-11:00, Online Transfer Session
This personal development training offers an introduction to the St.Galler Startup Navigator. It explores profiling/prototyping and a problem/solution fit. Customer decision making, the value proposition and a pitching framework will be addressed.
- Understand the basics of the St.Galler Startup Navigator
- Become familiar with problem solving and customer decision making
- Practice ‘’Idea Pitching”
Maria Luisa Fuchs is Chair for Entrepreneurship at the Institute of Technology Management of the University of St. Gallen and runs a new venture in e-Tailing. She participates strategically in developing family businesses as a Board Member and is a Project Manager and Coach at Startup@HSG from the University of St. Gallen. Maria Luisa pursued an MBA in International Business in Paris and recently started a Doctorate of Business at Bocconi University in Milan on the topic of “Female Entrepreneurship, Venture Funding and Company Performance”.
23 October 2023, 8:30-18:00, WeiterbildungsZentrum (WBZ) St.Gallen
30 October 2023, 8:30-12:00, Online Transfer Session
In this module the topic of leadership will be discussed from the perspective of leading self, others and the organization.
- You gain confidence in leading yourself, a team and navigating successfully in a complex organization
- Learn about the different aspects and dimensions of leadership, the challenges and the general impact of leaders in different functions and positions
- Know the important aspects of leading self, eg. reflection and planning your agenda, resilience, work-life-integration
- Identify the elements of positive teamwork and the role leadership plays
- Learn how the individual leader is part of an organizational context and how she can influence positively the corporate culture
Prof. Dr. Ulrich Zwygart is a Lecturer for leadership and management at the Executive School of Management, Technology & Law of the University of St. Gallen. He conducts research on leadership and has published several books on the topic. He also works as an independent consultant for boards and executive committees. Ulrich has extensive knowledge in the areas of corporate management, employee motivation and decision-making. Ulrich holds a doctorate in law and is an attorney as well as a retired division officer. He was awarded the Eisenhower Award at the U.S. Army’s Command and General Staff College at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas.
24 November 2023, 8:30-18:00, WeiterbildungsZentrum (WBZ) St.Gallen
5 December 2023, 8:30-12:00, Online Transfer Session
In this module you will learn how to develop and implement a strategy and explore in-depth international strategy and cross-cultural management.
- Understand the meaning of strategy
- Differentiate between corporate strategy, competitive strategy, and international strategy
- Recognize the biggest challenges in mergers & acquisitions
- Understand international market entry
- Identify the challenges in cross-cultural management
Prof. Dr. Winfried Ruigrok is Dean of the Executive School of Management, Technology & Law at the University of St.Gallen. He is also Professor of International Management and Director of the Research Institute for International Management at the University of St. Gallen. He conducts research on international strategy, corporate governance, the role of the CEO, top management teams and boards of directors, CEO careers, CEO compensation, and research methods. He has won numerous awards and has worked as a consultant and leadership trainer with dozens of multinational corporations.
1 December 2023, 8:30-18:00, WeiterbildungsZentrum (WBZ) St.Gallen
8 December 2023, 13:30-17:00, Online Transfer Session
This workshop focuses on how to keep a job. It provides you with the most up-to-date knowledge of today’s work environment. Topics including agility, successful team collaboration, effective professional communication, stakeholder management and digital savviness are addressed in this workshop. You will have the opportunity to reflect on and practice the elements of successful collaboration.
- Explore new ways of working
- Gain solid knowledge of and develop skills for successful communication and collaboration in the workplace
- Become familiar with the digital environment and update your digital skills
Dr. Mike J. Widmer, MBA is Founder and CEO of Aalto AG, a boutique consulting firm for leadership, executive search and career consulting. He is also a Lecturer at the Executive School of Management, Technology & Law at the University of St. Gallen. He is a seasoned cross-sector executive search expert for C-level and board positions and has a substantial background in senior management consulting in Switzerland, Germany and the U.S.
TBD January 2024, 9:00-12:00, Online Input Session
TBD January 2024, 9:00-11:00, Online Transfer Session
This personal development training explores the theory behind and the successful implementation of diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
- Learn about diversity and inclusion at the workplace
- What are the theoretical foundations behind diversity and inclusion in the workplace?
- What can companies, their leaders and team members do to promote diversity, equity and inclusion?
- How can equal opportunities for all be created?
Dr. Nora Keller is a Senior Project Manager at the Competence Centre for Diversity and Inclusion at the University of St.Gallen where she co-leads D&I consulting projects for clients, analyzing their HR processes and working culture through a D&I lens. She is also jointly responsible for researching, analyzing data, and writing the annual Advance & HSG Gender Intelligence Report. In addition, she teaches courses on D&I and leadership at the University of St.Gallen. She holds a PhD in Political Science from Columbia University.
15 January 2024, 8:30-18:00, WeiterbildungsZentrum (WBZ) St.Gallen
22 January 2024, 8:30-12:00, Online Transfer Session
This module offers an update on the most current tools and instruments used in controlling and finance such as balance sheets, profit and loss statements, cash flow statements and financial key performance indicators.
- Identify the most important financial data used to analyse company performance
- Learn to interpret financial data
- Understand how financial key performance indicators (KPI) are linked to the business model
Dr. Thorsten Truijens is Managing Partner at Controlling Partner St. Gallen, AG, and Lecturer at the Executive School of Management, Technology & Law at the University of St. Gallen where he has taught since 1995. Additionally, he teaches in several international graduate and executive education programmes, among them Harvard Business School, Rotman School of Management, Canada, as well as Melbourne Business School, Australia. He holds an MBA from the University of North Carolina and a doctoral degree from the University of St. Gallen. Currently, he is managing partner of a consulting company specializing in financial management. His previous work experience includes management positions in the automotive industry and extensive consulting work in the pharmaceutical and logistics industries.
5 March 2024, 8:30-18:00, WeiterbildungsZentrum (WBZ) St.Gallen
12 March 2024, 8:30-12:00, Online Transfer Session
This module addresses positive Human Resource Management (HRM) and how HRM should react to new challenges in the working environment.
- Learn how HR can contribute to employee engagement and happiness
- Identify the secret to positive teamwork and what roles HR plays
- Recognize which concepts and instruments stand out in training and development
Prof. Dr. Antoinette Weibel is a Trust and Organisation researcher and Full Professor for Human Resource Management at the University of St. Gallen. She is Director of the Institute for Work and Employment Research at the University of St. Gallen as well as President of the Executive Committee of the Institute for Systemic Management and Public Governance. She is also a member of various committees that strive to transfer research into practice.
25 March 2024, 8:30-18:00, WeiterbildungsZentrum (WBZ) St.Gallen
4 April 2024, 8:30-12:00, Online Transfer Session
This module provides an overview of the core concepts of modern marketing management which will enable you to develop a customer-centric marketing strategy. This includes the analysis of customer needs, identification of competitor strengths and weaknesses and development of a strategic marketing plan. The module will also touch on the topic of changing marketing practices, including the role of online business.
- Get an overview on the definition, tools and objectives of marketing in general
- Learn to identify a company’s market, its marketing environment and its position within the market
- Identify a company’s marketing opportunities; use the tools of market segmentation and market segment targeting
- Understand how a company’s strategy is translated into successful marketing activities
- Understand the impact of digitalization and new information technologies on changing marketing practices
Dr. Katharina Rege, Researcher and Lecturer in Marketing at HEC Lausanne, visiting Professor at EHL Lausanne.
Partner companies have exclusive access to a new talent pool of highly skilled, qualified female leaders.
Key benefits for WBB Partner Companies include:
- The opportunity to meet and get to know potential candidates through internships, company visits and networking events
- Effective, efficient and financially attractive talent acquisition opportunities
- Enhanced, targeted employer branding
- Support for and a direct contribution to diversity & inclusion
- St.Galler Tagblatt: «Die Ostschweiz hat ein eher konservatives Rollenverständnis»: HSG-Professorin Gudrun Sander über Frauen, Familie und Beruf, July 2021 (German article)
- SonntagsZeitung, Schweizer Firmen behindern die Karriere vieler Frauen, September 2020 (German article)
- Forbes, Superwoman, April 2020 (German interview)
Follow us on facebook!
We are on Instagram!
And also on LinkedIn!
Women Back to Business (ES-WBB) alumna honored with award
We are very pleased to announce that our former participant Oxana Ochsner is one of the recipients of the Women’s Business Award. Ten women were honored on the occasion of the annual Women’s Business Conference organized by the Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts in November 2015. Oxana received an award for her successful career comeback and has been working for Raiffeisen Schweiz since her return to the workforce.
Why University of St.Gallen
At the University of St. Gallen (HSG), you can choose from one of the largest executive education portfolios in the German speaking region – the right programme for your needs and career objectives. The renowned quality and practical relevance of the learning experience convinces more than 6000 participants per year. Profit from an Executive Degree from St.Gallen – the best business school in the German-speaking world – and get ahead in your career!
For high-quality teaching and executive training by top researchers
For competent executives
For Lifelong Learning
For international collaborations